Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'm back!

I know, I know; it's been forever. Forgive me. It's just that...well, we didn't have a whole lot going on to write about for awhile! And when we finally did...life got busy!


In the month and a half since I last wrote, I have taken on a new position with the Newcomers Club here in Mexico City, planning family events for the club. So I now have two director titles (Corey's jealous :) ), Director of Volunteers and Director of Family Events. I'm having fun, but it's keeping me busier than I've been since I was working! Lots of meetings and things to plan...and it's made even more difficult by the fact that I don't speak the language! So when I want to go rent a blow up castle or a park, it can take me some time to get in contact with the right people and communicate effectively!


Actually...I'm having a group of volunteers over tomorrow morning to host my first "coffee" and have a "Volunteer Kickoff". Hence why I'm blogging....you all know how big of a procrastinator I am ;).  I'm not that bad off actually, I've got the muffins made, the bread made (which was a big fail-blueberry lemon bread...but the blueberries all went to the bottom and didn't cook the bottom of the loaf), most of the cleaning done (still a bit to do!) and some things set out. Still, it's 9pm and I've hit a wall.


Things are going well here in Mexico, Corey continues to make progress on the building and hiring employees. He should be set to hire people within a few weeks (finally!) and he's starting the process of having a company install the training center equipment (a utility pole, scaffolding, etc so the students the come for training can try all the equipment and learn how to use it properly). He has had a FEW setbacks however...one morning about a month or month and a half back, he walked into the office on Monday morning and found his entire office building under about 2 inches of standing water. Turns out the water tank he had just had installed hadn't signaled that it was full, so the water line kept putting more and more water in...flooding the office area. Then about 2 weeks ago, he went into work on a Monday morning, and found two of his front signs gone...melted to smithereens. Turns out someone had thrown a plastic Coke bottle at the signs and broke the neon sign so the neon gas began to leak and started the two signs on fire. Corey later found out that a police officer on the Metro line across from his building called the fire trucks, they had several fire trucks (I think 5?!) and 2 ambulances and several police cars come out to the scene...and Corey had no idea until a day or two later! Pretty dramatic!


Other than this, everything is going well! Corey and I have both been working out and doing a new diet thanks to his cousin Sarah and her husband Taylor...and we're both seeing results, so that's fun! Hard work, but good to see results too!


I'll write more this weekend and let you all know how the coffee went!


Have a fantastic evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment